Dec. 18 2018 12:00 AM

The suspect admitted being under the influence of drugs.


A Milton, Massachusetts man has been denied bail after pleading not guilty in a hit-and-run case in which a landscape contractor was injured, according to a story reported by Steve Cooper and aired on Boston’s WHDH TV 7 News.

Hitting the contractor is just one of the things James Jones, 32, is alleged to have done during the course of a wild police chase. He was arraigned in Quincy District Court on charges of receiving a stolen motor vehicle, leaving the scene of a property damage accident, leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, refusing to stop for police, and operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license and operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs, causing serious bodily injury.

It all started when an officer who came across a minor motor vehicle crash noticed one of the drivers flee the scene as he approached. The officer says Jones’ Nissan Maxima crossed double yellow lines to pass another car in traffic, as the officer pursued, lights and sirens activated. This prompted the officer to call off the chase.

Soon after, Jones reportedly sideswiped another car, striking the owner of South Shore Landscaping, who had been standing outside his truck on the side of the street. Jones then veered across the road and slammed into an occupied car that was parked in a nearby driveway.

The contractor was taken to Boston Medical Center with what were considered non-life-threatening injuries.

A neighbor who didn’t wish to be identified described the aftermath of the crash. “It was terrifying. [The victim] was clearly breathing but his eyes were closed, and he wasn’t responding to anything I was saying, and his nose started bleeding within a few seconds of me arriving there.”

Court documents state that Jones told police the crash occurred after he’d been up all night smoking crack.

Another witness, Taylor Horner, said it’s remarkable that no one was killed in the crash. “I was close to death for sure. Inevitable death,” he said. “I got lucky.”

An investigation is ongoing. Jones, who is said to be homeless, was ordered to be held without bail. He is due back in court in January.