“After a slightly down year in 2018 due to an extended winter and late spring season, outdoor power equipment shipments have rebounded nicely in 2019 with year-over-year growth ranging from 2 to 7% depending on the product,” says Kris Kiser, president and CEO of OPEI.
“Commercial products used by professionals and consumer battery-powered products are the highest growth categories,” says Kiser, noting the continuing trends seen in the last several years as industry products diversify into electric power and the U.S. commercial landscaping sector continues to grow.
OPEI forecasted projections use as their basis the compiled monthly shipment data reported by OPEI members, constituting more than 90 percent of all shipments in the U.S. market. OPEI projections reflect shipments of products to include all power sources (e.g., gas, battery, corded (AC), diesel, propane). Among OPEI’s predictions are:
- Consumer lawn mower shipments are forecasted to grow by nearly 5% in 2019, with 7.4 million units shipped.
- Commercial lawn mower shipments are forecasted to grow by almost 7.5% in 2019, with 330,000 units shipped.
- Handheld power equipment shipments are forecasted to grow by 2.5% in 2019, with 25 million units shipped.
Historically, OPEI has had a strong commitment to data collection and publication for the benefit of its member companies. OPEI started collecting shipment data for lawn mowers in 1953 and has expanded its program over the successive decades to reflect the product innovation and growth in the U.S. market. OPEI industry data is collected, compiled and forecasted by contracted third parties, and is accessible by only member companies. All OPEI members that ship the subject products in the U.S. are eligible to participate in this critical program, assuring that OPEI data in most cases constitutes near full market representation. Additionally, all OPEI forecasts are developed through a third-party working in consultation with OPEI member manufacturers.
- Includes walk-behind rotary mowers, zero-turn radius riding mowers, residential riding mowers, walk-behind rotary tillers
- Includes intermediate walk-behind and riding mowers
- Includes handheld & backpack blowers, trimmers, brush cutters, split-booms, chainsaws, cut-off machines, hedge trimmers, tillers, pole pruners