Penn State Extension offering Professional Pest Managers School, Wednesday, Sept. 11, from 8 a.m.–2:30 p.m. at The Chadwick, 10545 Perry Hwy., One Wexford Square, Wexford, Pennsylvania. Registration is online at https://extension.psu.edu/professional-pest-managers-school or by calling 877-345-0691. The registration deadline is Sept. 6, 11:59 p.m.
This one-day pesticide update session provides research-based information for applicators, as well as recertification credits in categories where it can be difficult to find credits.
“The Professional Pest Managers School is a low-cost way to get informational updates on pesticide safety and ornamental and turfgrass pests,” says Sandy Feather, Penn State Extension horticulture educator. “It’s also difficult to find a one-day program that includes re-certification credits in all of the categories covered by this program.”
The Professional Pest Managers School is designed to provide licensed applicators a cost-effective way of obtaining numerous pesticide applicator re-certification credits. This educational program provides timely updates on pesticide safety and ornamental and turfgrass pests including classes in turf, landscape, pond maintenance, right-of-way, nursery, indoor pest control, and invertebrate pest management; as well as re-certification credits in categories where it can be difficult to find re-certification credits.
Pesticide credits offered include core, private, category 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 15, 16, 18, 23. ISA Certified Arborists and PLNA Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist continuing education credits (CEUs) will be offered for participants attending the full day.
The Advanced Tree Climbing School is a two-day, hands-on training for individuals who have tree climbing experience and have a desire to learn more about the skills and safety of advanced tree climbing. The school is being held Tuesday and Wednesday, Sept. 24 and 25, 2019 from 8:30 am–4:00 pm at Sunset Park, 850 McKee St., State College, Pennsylvania. The fee for both days is $325.00. Advanced Tree Climbing SRS (Stationary Rope Systems) candidates are required to have a minimum of 18 months tree climbing experience, preferably in a work environment.
Enrollment is online at https://extension.psu.edu/advanced-tree-climbing-school or by phone at 877-345-0691.
Candidates shall have experience or knowledge of the following disciplines:
- Current ANSI Z133 standards for tree climbing
- Perform a thorough gear inspection
- Demonstrate a full tree assessment prior to climbing
- Properly tie a variety of climbing hitches that includes: Swabian, Distel, Michoacan, and VT
- Basic understanding of SRS (stationary rope system) anchors, both canopy and basal
- Use various ascending techniques, including: foot locking, body thrusting, and proper use of mechanical ascending/descending devices
- Safely use their lanyard when advancing and/or reposition their suspension points while aloft
- Comfortably perform a limb walking up to 15 feet from the trunk
- Basic concept of redirecting their climbing line in a SRS
- Basic knowledge of the principles of aerial rescues Candidates must be in good physical health with no predetermined medical conditions that may hinder their ability to perform certain tasks.
Candidates are also required to bring all personal protective equipment and climbing equipment. PPE and equipment must meet all ANSI standards and manufacturer’s recommendations. A thorough gear inspection will occur on Day One. Any equipment that does not pass a gear inspection by the instructors will not be allowed.